Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Peruvian CCM Week One, and All's Well

Dear Everyone!
So hello! I am loving my time here at the CCM. My companion is so so great! It's sad I lose her in two weeks. Then I will get a new Latina for my last 3 weeks here. This place is seriously SO funny! "Seriously funny" what an odd phrase. Anyway, everything is great! The language barrier always proves to be inserting but in a comical way. The other night at dinner, one of the other sisters was trying to ask her companion if she gets hungry at night and in Spanish, you say that you have hunger not that you are hungry. Anyway, this poor sister confused the word "hambre"-hunger for "hombre"-man. She kept asking her companion if she has a lot of men at night. I was laughing so hard I couldn't sufficiently translate for either of them! Things like that happen all of the time! I love it. I am now the official translator for my district. The teachers will be talking and then they will stop, look at the puzzlement on my fellow missionary's faces, the turn to me and tell me to tell them what we are supposed to be doing. It's an adventure. I'm not 100 percent sure about some of my translations but the teachers just nod and smile in agreement to whatever I say. I could get into trouble with that if I'm not careful.
I love the Latino missionaries! They are all so sweet! I told one of them that I liked his tie and he started taking it off to give to me! They are such sweet people. My companion is SO tiny! I just want to pick her up and squeeze her all the time, but I figure that is probably some kind of social no-no so I restrain myself. I find myself patting her head a lot though. I'm pretty sure she thinks I'm bonkers. Sometimes I make up my own words in Spanish and she laughs then corrects me. We have a good time.
So, the gift of tongues is a real thing and I can testify of its reality! Communication is coming so quickly. The elders in my district are all learning very quickly as well! Oh, I love my district here! We are all lost together. Oh, Taylor Brown is in my district! It's so fun! People always ask us if we know each other when we both say we're from Eagar. Apparently none of them have ever seen the size of Eagar...
So, funny story, my compaƱera was asking me how to say different things in English the other day. She asked me "What is 'freaking'?" I told her that it's not very proper English and that only teenagers with poor vocabularies use it. Then she asked if it was bad or when to use it. I told to just not say it at all because it's not a very good word. Then she said " Oh, like -insert s word here-?" I was so taken aback by this! I said no, don't EVER use that word! Then later, when she couldn't see me, I was laughing about it. It's kind of funny what English words and phrases some of them know.
Mom, thanks for the pictures! They got to me just in time! I'm glad to see you got my package! Well, I love you all!!!!!
Love you eternally!
Hermana Anna Elmer
Oh, PS, today I have been a missionary for 1 month! My companion sang me a happy birthday song about it :D
PPS, Mom, are you checking my spelling and punctuation on these things before you post them to the blog? I have to type really quickly due to time constraints.

No comments:

Post a Comment